What is a web application and How websites work
Hi Everyone ! Today we will discuss regarding What a Web Application is and How a website works.
So Guys, let us first understand below terms, as it would help in oncoming learning.
DNS – Domain Name Servers are like an address book for a website.
Web application – a piece of software, which can be accessed using a web browser.
Web Browser – an application which we use for browsing in the internet. For eg, Internet Explorer(IE) or Google Chrome or Safari.
Computers that are connected to the web are called Web Server and Web Client.
Web Server – Technically, the Web Application is a web server and the web server is a network application running on some machine, listening to a port. The web server can host multiple applications. Eg, Webpages, applications, etc.
Web Client – Also known as browser/a User Agent. Basically, web clients are not only browsers, infact any application that can speak to a web server is a Web client. Eg, Telnet, a phone connected to a Wifi, etc.
The Web Client communicates with the Web Server to get the required information.
Protocol – To have a communication, one need to have a PROTOCOL. Protocol is a set of rules or procedures for transmitting data between computers. There are many protocols, like HTTP, FTP, WebSocket, etc.
So what happenes exactly?
The diagram shows the process of how web applications work:
- The web application can be accessed from a browser. Technically, the web application is a Web Server.
- The web client/web browser gets it work done by communicating with the web server. The browser sends a request to the server, asking it to send a copy of a website. The requested data is sent across your internet connection using TCP/IP.
- For communication purpose, various PROTOCOL’s are used.
- The web server now approves the received request, and acknowledges the client with a response message “200 OK”, which means, the server trusts the client and the requested data is transmitted. The data is received/processed using various web resources.
- The web resource is any kind of document, like a HTML document, XML document, JSON document, etc; which is hosted by a web server and the same web resource can be accessed by the web client, through a web server.
- The web resource can be either Static resource or Dynamic resource; Static resource means on web client request only the pre-defined data are sent, whereas in Dynamic resource the result is generated basic on the request received from web client. Know more about Static & Dynamic resources here.
- Each web resource is identified using a unique URL.
That’s all for this blog.
Did you find this blog post helpful? If so, kindly give a LIKE and share with your friends/colleagues. And don't forget to SUBSCRIBE, it's totally FREE!!!
Happy Learning !!!
For any doubt / queries / Recommendation for future blog, you can definitely comment on current blog or mail us on [email protected]